Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Holiday Time...what makes you happy?



As I am sitting here thinking about the holidays and reflecting the last few weeks I'm wondering just how others spend their time leading up to the holidays and what makes one really feel happy . I have shopped for family, shopped for charity, read Christmas cards and thought about sending Christmas cards. I often wonder why do we do all of this. Today, I was sitting in my store and a customer came in and gave Ronda a small box with my name on it. I said to Ronda my respiratory technician whats that? Ronda said, "remember Mary( changed the name for privacy)?" I said of course she went on to tell me that Mary had dropped off those gifts for us. Because we had been so helpful to her and she wanted to say thank you! At that moment I realized that small act of kindness and appreciation is what encouraged me to enter the health care profession and keeps me in it today. That was more than an act of kindness. It was thoughtful, genuinely nice and so sincere. It had nothing to do with the actual gift it was the thought and effort behind it. I guess that is why we shop often too much at Christmas, send cards, etc... We want to make others feel that small amount of kindness. So I guess when I'm feeling unappreciated I need to remember Mary! Consider" paying it forward" and brighten someones day. It really makes a difference. If every person took a few minutes to "pay it forward" can you image what the world would be like? I can.....

No comments:

Post a Comment